Great Maytham Hall was designed by Edwin Lutyens in 1909. The main building has been converted to luxury serviced apartments. Connected to it were a collection of derelict buildings including a Georgian cottage, stable block, two coach-houses, flat-roofed 1970s garages, remains of glasshouses and an apple store.
We achieved planning and Listed Building approvals for the conversion of the derelict buildings, with additional new-build elements, to form a group of five private homes. The proposal followed extensive research and negotiations with English Heritage in an iterative process over a 5-year period.
The existing structures set the palette of materials for the new-build part of the scheme; Kent peg tiles, red brick, and black-stained weatherboarding. New fenestration that combined timber frames with powder-coated metal was a modern complement to the existing leaded windows. The wooden coach doors needed to be retained, and full height glazed screens were added behind. The new houses are linked by a long shared conservatory following the lines of the kitchen garden greenhouse.